Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Eric Gamalinda's Poetry

There are days when I feel absolute alienation just by being in my own country. This frustrates me immensely first, because I cannot escape this place without resistance and second, because I feel guilty for wanting to escape it in the first place. Last week, my mom and I got into an argument about leaving the country--I told her that Keav and I had talked about leaving eventually. My mom said to me that more and more, people she knew who'd spent the majority of their lives abroad were coming home, regretting having spent so much time in a country that wasn't theirs. And to this, I replied that they come back with the millions they would never have made if they hadn't left--they come back with a nostalgic eye for poverty that sugarcoats everything they see. 
Suddenly box-cart houses and shanties seem absolutely homey now that they don't have to live in them. My mom got cross with me, saying that I would have to work hard if I left--and I asked her if she thought that she didn't work hard by staying here. She proceeded to talk about how things were great here and how we're definitely doing better than relatives who've moved away. The conversation ended with me asking her why it was, then that we were still calling my uncle in New York for shoes; I asked why it was that now, almost two years after my maternal grandmother fell into a coma, we were still being sent cans and cans of groceries from Los Angeles and not the other way around. Any day, I suppose--I would choose the regret of return over the regret of never having gone.

Anyway, just when I thought that I was probably the only person who felt this way or that there would be no way to put this type of sentiment into words, a couple of poems by Eric Gamalinda came to mind and upon re-reading them, I felt my anxiety melt away. I suppose that this is the kind of empathy that can only be offered by a stranger in another country, through writing. :) These two poems are those that have most succeeded at soothing my soul.

Enough
Eric Gamalinda, from his collection Zero Gravity

When my friends decide
they've had enough of America
they start longing for the odor
of fish sauce, the silky texture
of newly cooked rice, warmer weather,
the privilege of cursing
in their own tongue.


When they start talking about
cops on the take, streets
where you can't walk if you're not
black or white, or the empty hollow
you feel after the six o'clock news, 
I know it's happened,
they have packed their boxes
with nostalgia, they have signed their names
in pre-Hispanic script.


And now we are talking
in different languages, 
I can no longer tell them
there is nothing more beautiful than 
crossing east on Tappan Zee Bridge
in the pouring rain, 
or reading Walt Whitman, 
or listening to Miles Davis
right after the sun has set or even
just the punctual clangor of the mailman
who moves with the sadness
of afternoons in Havana.


Lately I've been getting
strange letters in my box,
postmarked on a date
that has not yet happened,
and I open them all
as though they have always
belonged to me,
and everything I am about to say
is already being filed
in an office with no windows
by a clerk who marks an x
before my name simply because 
it is his duty to do so.


Some day I'll send everyone a card
with nothing in it, only
the calligraphy
of a river, and on the back
with invisible ink I will say:
Forgive my happiness,
I have betrayed you all.

The Opposite of Nostalgia
Eric Gamalinda

You are running away from everyone
who loves you,
from your family,
from old lovers, from friends.

They run after you with accumulations
of a former life, copper earrings,
plates of noodles, banners
of many lost revolutions.

You love to say the trees are naked now
because it never happens
in your country. This is a mystery
from which you will never

recover. And yes, the trees are naked now,
everything that still breathes in them
lies silent and stark
and waiting. You love October most

of all, how there is no word
for so much splendor.
This, too, is a source
of consolation. Between you and memory

everything is water. Names of the dead,
or saints, or history.
There is a realm in which
—-no, forget, it,

it’s still too early to make anyone understand.
A man drives a stake
through his own heart
and afterwards the opposite of nostalgia

begins to make sense: he stops raking the leaves
and the leaves take over
and again he has learned
to let go.

2 comments:

  1. High five, Wins. My dad feels that way about me moving away. I wanna leave too, but he keeps buying me time here. I gave myself a deadline though, September 2013. I should be out of the country by then :) Let's meet up somewhere! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yeah, sure. I guess I get it also--it's frustrating, but at the same time I guess theirs was a generation that prided itself in believing that they would change our country for the better. Sadly, I don't think that happened but ah well. We know they tried.

      Delete

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!