Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Reality Bites (1994)

So, I watched this movie for the very first time last night and came to the rather startling realization that hipsters have been around forever. This makes me feel better because I don't feel so alone and so shunned for liking these things that people dismiss as "quirky" (motherf--er if I hear that word used to describe me again, I might just get back into the habit of physically slapping people). But also, it's kind of depressing, isn't it? Like, you see Winona Ryder playing this beautiful woman Lelaina Pierce, who is trying to get ahead in society and make this film and be taken seriously--and it's the same fucking thing you're trying to do and there's 18 years between that film and now and nothing's changed. 

Anyway, to keep this post from getting depressing and/or making myself feel bad (which I did this morning, by virtue of watching stuff about the Philippines' future--why, Wina, why) I'm going to get on with it and talk about the movie. I liked this movie very much. I suspect that any Ethan Hawke movie is going to be kinda good. I honestly don't think I've seen a film of his that I've hated--Dead Poet's Society, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Gattaca were all thumbs up movies in my opinion. And Reality Bites is no exception. I loved the dialogue and I love how Ethan Hawke's character was such a smart-ass and such and asshole. I think nowadays, there are still assholes in movies but none of them seem to be very intelligent. My favorite scene was the one where he and Laleina are fighting and he steps forward, takes her face in his hands and goes, "I'm secretly in love with you, Lainey. That's why I've been acting like this." And Laleina's face is just stunned. Then Troy (Ethan Hawke) just laughs and says, "Is that what you were expecting me to say? Huh?"

Tension maximized. Ben Stiller was also great in this movie--as was the rest of the cast, really. All the main characters were endearing and just hilarious. Plus, the great thing about this movie is that they portray women smoking. Not that I'm necessarily pro-smoking, I know it's bad for your health but I like that they have the courage to do that, for no reason other than it's true: some women do smoke and drink coffee and have freak outs. :)) I'd give this a 5/5! (I realize a lot of the movies I've watched lately have been getting good reviews from me; maybe I should go watch some terrible ones to balance it out?)
Oh, and I would wear every outfit anyone (yes, even the men) wore in this movie. Take the photo above for instance (taken, by the way from femmefatale.com)--I would wear that dress and those yellow stockings and that brown polo and those hooj glasses. I really, really would.

8 comments:

  1. lol you might hate Ethan Hawke's upcoming horror movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate horror movies in general, so it doesn't count? :))

      Delete
  2. they're not exactly hipsters because that's just how post-college kids were back then. trust me.

    -80s kid with distinct memories of the 90s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) Well, I didn't mean "hipster" in a bad way. I meant it more like people who are trying to do something they feel not a lot of other people are doing (regardless of whether or not this feeling is justified). And what I meant to say by "hipsters have been around forever" is that there have been people trying to prove themselves by taking the "unconventional track" or the "road no one else has taken" before, which is really Leilana's dilemma throughout the story--she wants to make a difference despite a) losing her job and b) having extremely "cynical" friends (although this is dispelled toward the end of the movie).

      And post-college kids are still pretty much that way now.

      -post-college kid. trust me. ;)

      Delete
  3. if you know your developmental psychology literature, you would know that post-college kids have been like that since better economic opportunities have been available. please see literature on emerging adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do know that. That's exactly what I was saying in this blogpost.

      Delete
    2. See: the post you have just commented on.

      Delete
    3. ^ Likes this comment :)

      Delete

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!