So I realize that I've gone on a bit of a binge with my music posts lately, but it's a big part of my life and I really would like this to be more than a fashion blog because to be honest, I'm a huge nerd and while I'm very into fashion, it isn't just who I am. So. Anyway. :) I hope you guys enjoy today's music post. I know I've been posting about Tegan & Sara a lot and that probably owes to the fact that I only recently got my hands on their Get Along DVD so I've really been rediscovering their (haha) discography and sort of reconciling old ideas with the new. But, yeah.
As you might be able to tell from the title of this post, I decided to post up two songs--one from Tegan and one from Sara. For those of my dear readers who aren't quite huge fans yet or who are just starting to get into this band, the thing about Tegan and Sara Quin is that (at least for most of their career--I hear they did a lot of collab-ing on their last album) they write their songs separately and while they sing together live, on the records, they do their own backing vocals and their own playing. :) I found this very interesting because while it's definitely not something that a lot of bands do, I think that it makes sense. It's the reason I think why their mix of songs is so perfect all the time. Both of them have their own distinct styles and while you can go to them for about anything, you always get two distinct flavors from each of them. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to take my word for it, so here are two songs of theirs that I really, really like and the amazing way that they just play off of each other.
On Directing was written by Sara and I love how this song is incredibly self-aware. The line goes Go steady with me--I know it turns you off when I get talking like a teen and I find so much vulnerability in that statement but also a kind of strength in the knowing of how your actions impact someone. It's equal parts vulnerable and vicious, which I think makes for the perfect combination.
Northshore was written by Tegan and what I love about Tegan's songs is that they're so damn hooky. This song was stuck in my head for about a week and a half after I heard it. Also, the thing I love about this song is again, that sort of self-conscious/self-reflexive quality to it. In the chorus, she sings something's so sick about this, my misery is so addictive and it's just so beautiful (and so true) that misery is a kind of drug. It's addictive. Yeah. This song is just incredibly spot-on.
I think it's this kind of dynamic--the mix between melancholia and resilience, between delicate guitar/keyboard parts and strong, catchy hooks that really make Tegan & Sara such a strong band and that make their records the kind of things that you can listen to track by track.
Aaaand, that's it for today's Music in the Morning bit. :) I hope everyone enjoyed this!
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!