Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012

How To | Blogging "Alone"

So, there might be a little confusion as to what I mean when I say Blogging "Alone" since no one really blogs in a vacuum; we all have an audience and we all have peers. What I mean by Blogging "Alone" is being on your own when it comes to the logistics of blogging--taking photos, post-processing and (of course) choosing the content of your blog.

A lot of people I know want to start a blog--whether about fashion or otherwise--but are hesitant to because they are unsure about how to do it: who will take their photos, who will design the site, etc. And while I'm far from being a blogging success, I've learned so much these past few months and I thought I'd share 5 of these tips with everyone. :D


1. Invest on a Tripod
Tripods are super, duper handy when shooting outfit of the day photos. :) They're also great for doing hauls (if say, you're putting up a beauty blog) and/or doing make-up, film or book review videos. Because this is more or less a personal style blog, I'll go into the outfit of the day thing the most: I know a lot of people who are shy but who would like to put up their own personal style blogs. A tripod allows you to get rid of that shyness, I think because it gives you room to experiment: you can see which angles work on you and which don't without feeling embarrassed since you're shooting with yourself. It also allows you to develop your photography mojo and gives you the freedom to shoot whenever you want, wherever you want. :) 

These cost around P1,000+ in electronics boutiques but if you want ones that are uber budget-friendly then head over to CDR-King or to the DIY Shop (there's one in Alphaland, Magallanes), those range from around P300-P600 

2. Invest on a quality camera
I know a lot of people who are on both ends of the "Do I Need a DSLR to Blog?" debacle--some people will say "oh, no you can do that with your phone" while others go the other way completely and are like, "There is no way you can achieve that with a point-and-shoot". My stance on it is this: in the end, it all boils down to the quality of the photo and while you don't necessarily need a DSLR to shoot quality photos, you also can't capture images of outfit details with an extremely low quality camera or a 3 megapixel phone cam. 

There are, however a lot of good options in between--better, in my opinion to have a great point-and-shoot than splurge everything on a DSLR and have no money to go anywhere or do anything. This goes especially for if you're spending your own money (like myself). However, if someone is willing to go and sponsor a DSLR for you, then by all means take it! :))

I shoot on a Polaroid Q20 and it's a pretty good point-and-shoot. It's got 14 megapixels, 5x zoom, HD video and great panorama. :D I've also heard wonderful things about the Nikkon Coolpix digicams as well as a couple from Canon. 

Digicams can range from around P 2,950 to P6,000--that isn't bad for unlimited quality photos and avoiding copyright infringements. :D Also, I'd like to believe that blogging is, for the most part about sharing experiences and this investment is your readers' window into your world.


3. Read As Much As You Would Like To Be Read
As with literature, I don't think that you can write a blog if you don't read (at least a couple of) blogs--you just would be ill-equipped without checking out what's out there. Also, the best way to learn is by example: keep interested in what other people are doing and see what different genres there are out there. Be curious--see the different things that people blog about and peek into their worlds as well. Try and see what they're busying themselves with.

4. Interact
Leave a comment, like a status, shop online--connections are important, especially if you're starting out alone. Also, blogging is about interaction (albeit online) and this is a great way to make friends as well as increase your contacts and readers: collaborations, giveaway projects, etc. are borne from these interactions. Also, don't be afraid of posting links to your blog on your Social Media Networking accounts: it'll attract people with the same interests. 

5. Always Pay Your Debts
This is something useful we can take from the Lannisters--whether monetary or not, always pay your debts. No one likes an empty promise and so if you promise someone money or credit or advertising always, always do as you say you will. :) This goes for anyone and everyone--your readers, a graphic artist (as with my dear friend Trizha) or your sponsors. Only promise that which you can deliver. :)

And that's it for now! I hope these tips have helped you guys out. Don't forget to leave a comment below!

24 comments:

  1. Oh if only I has badass camera. -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one electronics boutique in Greenbelt is on sale. :) I forgot what it's called but yeah, they're selling whole lines of Polaroids, Nikkons & Canons at around 30-50% off! :D

      Hay. I want to save up for a better camera as well, actually. :D

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Glad to hear you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips! Agree with all :) Got to your blog through IFB and I am glad about it :)

    New post up: Why pinterest is your new best friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) But your link doesn't lead anywhere, unfortunately. Maybe just leave the link to your blog below. :D

      Delete
  4. Great post!
    Really informative
    http://wotshernameagain.blogspot.com
    https://twitter.com/#!/Wotshernameagai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. You're most welcome! :D Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Wina,

    Your post has excellent tips for bloggers like me, on our own in a big blogging world.
    Thanks for writing it and looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura!

      Thanks, I'm glad you found it useful. :) And hahaha yes, little old us in this huge, huge world! Thank goodness for blog interaction. :D

      Delete
  7. I don`t think blogging "alone" needs a how to.

    I`m blogging on my own, daily, since 2 years, despite being a full-time doctoral-candidate at university + part-time jobbing.

    Everybody needs to keep promises and have good eqipments - in teams as well.

    Blogging alone is the easiest thing ever since you never need to compromise or wait for anyone.

    Best, Jenny

    http://www.dresscodehighfashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny.

      Well, good for you that you were able to figure things out so quickly. :) Things weren't as simple for me when I began blogging--I wanted things to look prettier than they were, and i wanted posts to be more organized than they were. It was a huge effort for me and it took a lot of experimenting before I knew where to spend and where to scrimp.

      I'm not saying that these are things that are exclusive to people who blog alone but that they help especially when you're blogging alone: your mistakes are completely your own and there is no one else to take the fall for you. This entry was meant to help people out who want to start a blog but feel that doing it alone was a difficult impediment; you can't rely on photos taken in mirrors forever.

      And blogging alone has its pros and cons: yes, it is easier because you don't have to compromise or wait for anyone but also no one else is there to contribute, no one else is there to help you expand your market--you rely solely on people you know and advertising/social media networking sites. Furthermore, it makes it more difficult to gauge whether or not your entries will be relevant to anyone but yourself because you don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of before posting them.

      I appreciate your feedback, though. Thanks for dropping by. :D Hopefully, you find future posts more to your liking.

      Delete
    2. *EDIT* not a difficult impediment, a huge impediment--impediments are usually difficult. xD

      And also: I think that it's easier to blog alone if your blog doesn't include personal style because then you can rely completely on external sources for images, etc. But if you're taking outfit posts, etc. and actually exposing yourself online, I think there's greater pressure to make sure that you look great (camera, camera, camera) and there are a lot more logistical concerns because you're getting first-hand material for your blog--you constantly have to remember to bring that camera out and you have to learn post-processing, etc. all by yourself. :)

      Delete
  8. Amazing post, very useful for me, since I'm a "alone" blogger too. :)

    xo, Ian.
    www.morbidglamour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ian! :) I'm following you now. Wonderful blog!

      Delete
  9. Really nice tips specially the last one...
    got the link from link a la mode IFB, congrats to make it to the list...

    http://sheenafab.com/wp/links-a-la-mode-lets-give-em-something-to-talk-about/

    Sheena
    sheenafab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheena! :D Will definitely check your blog out. :)

      Delete
  10. I loved the post. I've been blogging a little over a year (still a bit new) and I'm still trying to get used to everything. I just recently ( I mean only a couple of months ago) settled into a routine that I've come to like. I would love to save for a nicer camera but right now my Nikon Coolpix is getting the job done. Maybe during the Black Friday sales, we can all find better cameras for ourselves.

    http://thriftyandshameless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) Thanks, I'm so glad that you liked it. And yeah, I definitely want to get a better camera as well--I've heard all about Black Friday sales; you guys are lucky to have that over there. Here it's just months and months of staring longingly at the electronics boutique catalog, hoping that the cash in my wallet decides it's mature enough to procreate. :))

      I also checked your blog out! I am loving your memorial day outfit. ;)

      Delete
  11. Great idea for a post! It's so hard taking quality outfit photos equipt with just your camera and tripod. Came across your link via IFB. You deserved to be in this weeks lineup.

    xx http://camomeetscouture.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) Thank you so very, very much! Lovely blog as well. :)

      Delete

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!