Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Brightside Entry| Lexy, Nance & Argus: Sex, Gods, Rock & Roll

Today was a pretty good day for me, sans stress from my chem test. I spent most of the day at Edeng's with two of my favorite people in the world: Trish & Trizh. :)) Trish is one of my best friends from college (highschool, technically but whatever, that's a whole other story) and I hadn't seen her in the longest time. We used to work together and spend every waking moment (intoxicated or otherwise) during the weekends together. But these past few months, everything's been a whirlwind of life's tedious, time-consuming well, thingamajigs like school and work so we haven't been able to hang out a lot. It was great hanging out with her again.

And Trizha, well she makes an appearance a lot on this blog because she is my soulmate, really (or my female soulmate anyway) and we are in so many ways, alike despite our differences. We haven't been able to talk a lot these past few weeks either because she's been in self-exile, working on a couple of things for both her comics and fashion endeavors. So it was very nice getting to talk to her again, especially after that horrid Chemistry exam which I will now choose to forget about completely.

Anyway, she gave me a copy of the local graphic novel "Lexy, Nance & Argus: Sex, Gods, Rock & Roll" by Oliver Pulumbarit. Trizh was very, very excited about this graphic novel and after being stranded at the Starbucks in Town Center for two hours waiting for my ride home, I can see why. It's a brilliant graphic novel, really. It's able to talk about taboo in a way that is casual and that you are able to relate to because it's said so simply--no big, sweeping declarations of "awesomeness". The characters are marvelously written: even the side characters have claimed my affections and those affections are not easy to claim, let me tell you. Another thing that I admire Oliver Pulumbarit for is being able to talk about these big issues (sexuality, religion) without turning it into an impersonal discussion about these gigantic, vague ideas. He was able to translate the big picture into something personal, something that you can take home with you and mull over in the shower or while painting your nails. I am, for all that I have said, speechless.This graphic novel hit the spot. <33

Please, please pick it up if you can. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!