Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

On Being Yourself & Personal Style

I finally got around to fixing the sizing issue re: the photos on this blog and I just realized hey, I've been doing this for over a year now (the whole personal style blog thing). It's taken me a while to figure out what I want to do with this blog; it's true what they say about having to figure out who you aren't to figure out who you are. And so these are some of the things I've figured out, re: personal style and being yourself (not that you have a choice).

(1) Forget "trendy". I understand that SEO and marketing are important things re: monetizing your blog but also, it shuts you off from being yourself a lot of the time because it creates pressure to fit in. And if you're going to be like everyone else, then why on earth would anyone want to read your blog?

It's also harder and harder to find people's style interesting: I feel like no one does anything un-safe or "normal" anymore. Everyone's wearing things they think will make them look "fashionable" instead of things that reflect their style (the very point of personal style, I think). Throw away the heels if you don't really wear them out, ditch the maxi skirt that dips in the rain--unless that's what you want to wear. Wear what you actually wear.

(2) Forget freebies. I can name a billion people (including myself) who had free stuff on the mind when they started taking photos of themselves and what they wore. And I must admit, I got pretty crazy at the beginning when I started getting stuff from online stores and passes to bazaars--you can just imagine how I felt when I got asked by Zalora to be one of their brand ambassadors--but things get lost in the hullaballoo of what to wear and what to post about and will I actually wear this and before you know it, you're forgetting that there's life outside what you wear and which sponsors you've gotten. This is why I stopped doing this: it went against the very reason that I like blogging and why the blogosphere is so interesting to me. Each blog is a glimpse into a life and I don't want mine to be just "hey, look at the cool stuff I got". 

(3) Forget "fame". I'm not saying that I don't want followers or readers--no one can blame you for that. Part of the reason why we write is because we'd like for what we write to be read. But also, since the advent of the bloggerebrity (someone famous for no real reason other than owning an awesome blog), I feel like so many blogs have come out that don't have an ounce of originality to them. People forget that blog-fame is a byproduct of a good blog (good writing, interesting content) and not vice versa.

 So many blogs that want to be famous are terribly written and offer no real insight into the person's life. This is why I love blogs like AlessiLikesIt and ArtsyFartsyAva: even if they inevitably talk about fashion and food and style, they also tell you about themselves and offer a real point of view on whatever it is they're blogging about. 

(4) Forget formula. Part of me wants to go back to my subdomain (winawonders.blogspot.com) because the formula nowadays seems to be (1) get clothes that will get you mistaken for someone famous (2) buy an SLR (3) take photos of you wearing said clothes (4) buy a domain (5) get followers. It's all so boring. And no one smiles in any of these damn pictures. I also have renounced follower-trading (I'll follow you if you follow me) because it's all such crap: most of the time people just want the big numbers popping up in their stats and don't actually read any of the blogs they've "followed back". It's ridiculous.

(5)  Don't Forget Fun. It should be fun. Or at least soothing. Otherwise, click Delete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!