Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Wisdom Hurts

Photo taken by me (Instagram here) at 6:30 am last Thursday (extraction day)

I do hope you guys forgive my lack of blog posts this week. I just had my (four) wisdom teeth taken out and while it doesn't hurt as much I expected, it really does suck not to be able to chew what you eat. That's one thing that I've definitely taken for granted--who knew that so much of the pleasure of eating came from mashing the food up. So yeah. I've been eating Egg Nog biscuits (melting them on my tongue) and iced coffee or iced juice or well...Iced anything liquid, basically.

I've been thinking a lot about the concept of wisdom teeth a lot lately and I guess (aside from the obvious fact that they usually grow when you're older) it makes sense that they're so painful to have taken out. Not all wisdom teeth need a'taking out, mind you--just the ones that are impacted or that aren't growing properly. Like actual knowledge or wisdom, some of the things we come to believe in or come to "know" can punch holes in things that they aren't supposed to; in addition to that, these hard, usually deep-rooted things usually grow so that they're difficult to clean and so bacteria as a result of food deposits usually cause them to rot and cause infections greater much greater than themselves: they can give you lock-jaw and they can inflate your lymph nodes. In the same way that something tiny like believing that you should or shouldn't tip your waiters or that you should or shouldn't cross the street if the pedestrian light is red can affect greater things, in the long run.
Recovery is a bitch but it's a small price to pay for peace and growth (or in this case, the disruption of growth).

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!