Album cover via The National
I know this is a couple of years late and those of you who listen to The National might be wondering why I'm only posting about this now, but well--I like obsessing about things in turn. And when it comes to my favorite artists sometimes I'll delay gratification and keep myself from listening to an album and obsess over an older album for a couple of months before getting to the goodies. I'm the kind of person who can be very intensive about musical obsessions (search for Tegan & Sara on this blog and you'll know what I mean)--I like to know every word to every song and I really like soaking in records. I pay attention to the order of the tracks and the punctuation of the lyrics and small things like that. So yeah. I'm kinda a "slow listener" when faced with a discography, I guess.
For the past year and a half, I've been listening to nothing but their Alligator album which is great as well (if you're interested, please check it out--they don't disappoint).
And for a couple of weeks before I downloaded High Violet, I'd gotten back into singing along to their first album (The National). Anywho, I think there are two kinds of bands--those that get better with time and those that you appreciate for their "older hits". The National is definitely the former. This is the best album of theirs I've listened to (EPs included. Everything is spot-on: the lyrics, the melodies, the rhythm. My goodness. Favorite tracks include: Bloodbuzz Ohio, Conversation 16, Anyone's Ghost and Sorrow.
My favorite lines is definitely from Conversation 16:
Live on coffee and flowers,
Try not to wonder what the weather will be.
If any of you give this a listen/have given this a listen, please let me know what you think/what you're favorite songs are! :D
haven't heard of this yet so thanks for sharing!:)
ReplyDeleteYay! :) I hope you enjoy it! :D
Delete