This has got to be my favorite Bruce Springsteen song, ever. I haven't done a music post in a while and since I've been listening to this song all day, I thought I'd talk about it a little. This song is often credited for being the rocket that launched Courtney Cox into (I don't want to use the word stardom but I can't think of another word so) stardom--she was the foxy music video girl (click here for that).
The thing about Bruce Springsteen (aside from, in his youth, being absolutely gorgeous) is that he always manages to break my heart with his lyrics and his melodies. Today was a rainy, gloomy day that made for lots of (unwelcome) contemplation on the bus home. I've been thinking about things like belonging and what it means to grow up and about the nuances of family--whether or not the repercussions of the imprints of grief we leave on each other are worth it; does anguish equal entitlement to love? Whenever I attempt at putting together a cohesive thought about it I feel like all I'm doing is throwing stones into a dark well and listening to the clanging at the bottom, trying to guess what it is I'm hitting. Math teachers might be right about guessing being impractical, but sometimes that is the only strategy you have.
You can't start a fire,
You can't start a fire without a spark.
This gun is for hire
even if we're just dancing in the dark.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!