Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

Always, Curly Sue: Hair Care!

I am currently in the process of growing my hair out; I've finally gotten sick of Twiggy-inspired pixie cuts and have made the decision to go back to the Allison Robertson-inspired mop-y dos that I used to sport. The thing about curly hair is that it has a drier cuticle than straight hair and so needs a lot more care to ensure that it grows out well. So these past few months, I've been seeing to it that my curlicues  (I sound like my mother) get all the nourishment they need.

So you guys can see how my hair's been growing (as well as how it used to be), here's a little "Hair Story" photoset (forgive the quality of some of the photos, I haven't put up a set as goofy as this since the beginnings of this blog) that I hope you guys find amusing.
(1) In 2011, I went through a really traumatic friendship break-up and decided, one night to cut all my hair off. Before the morning this decision was made (August 8th), my hair was long and curly and flowy. And stuff.
{This photo was taken from my old blog, Taft Life which is now extinct--forgive the camwhore-yness, this was back before I had an actual camera. Or a tattoo. Or a degenerative eye condition.}

(2) After I cut it off, it went through several permutations--some of which are featured on this blog. 
The first one was this extremely Twiggy-inspired 60s do. 
After this, I delved into my Audrey Hepburn obsession and decided to get a cut with a little more wave. (The photo above is courtesy of Timezone and was just before the Jason Mraz concert in 2011)
After this grew out a bit, I became obsessed with Tegan & Sara and the closest I could get to an "edgy" haircut was something asymmetrical. So I went for this:

(3) As I mentioned, I'm determined to have it grow back into a full-force mane mode soon and things seem to be going well, so far. (The photo in my sidebar was taken only a few days ago)
(For the purpose of shameless plugging, you can follow me on Instagram @winawonders)

To ensure the gracefulness of the growing-out process, I've taken to three main products: Dove's Nutritive Therapy shampoo and conditioner + Vedette Ultra Luster hair serum for permed and colored hair. Dove is excellent at making products that are rich and nourishing that don't leave any residue. 
 I'm not sure if Vedette is available here (but I sure hope it is); I found this in Vietnam and bought a lot of these packets. While my hair isn't permed or colored, I found the formulation of this serum is perfect for keeping my hair nourished and rounding out my curls without being greasy (which I think is usually the problem with a lot of local hair products of the serum variety).
All these things are pretty cheap and are pretty good value for money. The shampoo + conditioner you can find well--anywhere, really. They're about P100/bottle, give or take. And the Vedette serum goes for about P35/packet (18,000 VND).

I really hope this post was able to help my fellow curly-top people out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!