There are some days when it seems I spend most of my time waiting. As you guys already know about my interest in maps, I think it's alright for me to expound on my belief that everything we do (and I mean everything: from which side of the bed we get up on to which mug we put our toothbrushes in) is determined by geography.
I live in a village that is very difficult to get into and out of if you don't drive. And seeing as how I'm the "baby" of our family, I'm the only one of us without a car; as a result I am always at the mercy of my siblings and their ever-fluctuating schedules. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind commuting--in fact, the only way that I ever get anywhere is via commute (unless it's a special day and I have money for a cab and/or if I'm in Baguio)--but the thing about our village is that the jeeps pass by about once every hour which ensures at least a 40-minute wait per journey.
In addition to this, our jeepney terminal's been mobile (not kidding, it's moving around) for the past few months because something's up with their permit so their old terminal is being used as a parking lot. This means that my last resort (jeep-ing outta here) is well--non-existent.
And so my life revolves around entertaining myself while waiting for an often unknown period of time to be picked up from the mall near my house. I always bring a self-soothe kit (harhar) which consists of a book, my journal, pens, a music player and/or receipts (don't ask). Most of the things I do, I do while waiting: read, write, listen to music, charge my perpetually low-batt phone. Today's wait, however was extremely grueling. Don't get me wrong, the day was wonderful: I got to spend it with Keav walking around Makati and talking and people-watching and window-shopping. I even got to sneak in a nap while I was in the afternoon shuttle because there weren't that many people. Today was a great day. :)
Photo by Marz Llave
But I am exhausted; and when I think about why I feel this way, I can only chalk it up to having to wait four and a half hours at Krispy Kreme. I got to the mall around four-thirty and it was almost eight this evening when my brother picked me up. Intense, intense, intense waiting. After the first two hours I'd already finished the donut I was eating, made it halfway through the book I was reading and cancelled, re-planned, cancelled a get together with friends. So after that I decided to do the only logical thing: walk around the bookstore. I read half of two books, got myself two bottles of mineral water, drank them and then sat at the bench near the exit for about another hour. And here I am.

i love how you write. very effective.:)
ReplyDeletehttp://seftiburcio.tumblr.com/