I haven't gone on a self-date in a while--which is a funny thing to say because I'm alone a lot of the time. This is something that I like to do every now and then to try and gather my thoughts and relax and not take myself too seriously (I can be a very intense person). Being around people is fun and I really enjoy interacting with friends and readers and stuff but when things like the CT shooting happen, it really messes with my head. I'm extremely sensitive to things like that and hearing about these people and how often we seem to forget the simplest things about how to treat others, I spiral into a very sulky, angry depression that gets in the way of well--life. I understand the tendency toward recluse.
So today, I took myself out. I went to Town Center and watched The Hobbit again--although I was with my mom for this part--then I headed over to Powerbooks and was extremely happy to learn that there is now a cafe inside Powerbooks so you can browse and read and have your coffee. The coffee place is called Illy and wow, they serve a mean Americano. I was in love with the dainty espresso cups and how you get to choose how much water you want to add to make the shot an Americano. Plus, they take BPI EPS Debit cards so--whippee for the cashless! (And tears for my bank account.)
While having coffee, I read a couple of stories from a book by Italo Calvino called Difficult Loves. Please people who are reading this, do not buy it. There is only one copy left and I desperately want it. :)) (Kidding--I hid it.) But yeah--there were some wonderful stories in that volume. I especially loved this one called The Adventures of a Reader which talks about the struggle between reading (which can be so much more interesting and soothing and nourishing than real life) and participating in life (which can offer an escape from the intensities and tediousness of reading); it was so well-written.
I'm still a little bit perturbed by a couple of things but I think this self-date definitely helped calm my nerves (at least a little--I don't think coffee can cure everything). Tomorrow I"m going to channel all my anxiety into something more productive. :)) Goodnight, guys! I hope you're all having a great weekend so far.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!