Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars Book Review

Hey, everyone! So, I finished this much-buzzed-about book in a day and a half and I have so many things to say about it that I couldn't resist writing an in-depth review even if this isn't the type of thing that I'd usually do because people have different opinions and I'm usually content to keep mine to myself. But I really felt compelled to talk about this. :)
Alright, first things first--this book goes for P695.00 which is pretty damn pricey and it doesn't come in paperback. So if you're low on the chachings, then I'd recommend you borrow a copy from your library but if you can spare some cash, then the copy is definitely worth the gaping hole purchasing this will leave in your pocket. Personally, I have trouble with borrowed books because I like to write in the margins of my books but I suppose keeping a small notebook would do as well, if you still want to keep track of lines or parts you like or find interesting.

Let me begin this by quoting something that John Green said in an interview--he said that he believes that writing is ultimately an act of empathy. And not only do I agree with that, I'd go so far as to extend that definition toward reading (as well as the appreciation of any artform, really). It allows you to not just feel for people whose condition you will never experience, but it allows you to understand them in a way that you wouldn't have without the work. And this book just absolutely does that.

I don't want to give anything away but I will say this about it: it was able to paint the most un-pitiful picture of cancer patients and I love that. Pity is the worst thing you can do to someone and to people with cancer, the most vile insult would be seeing them as cancer patients before seeing them as people. This book, while more lighthearted (despite the fact that cancer has been mentioned around four or five times in this paragraph) than John's previous novels Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns definitely still packs an emotional punch. It's painful, funny and it lingers in a way that is distinct from his other two novels. It felt to me like missing an old busmate or someone from your childhood you don't talk to anymore, if that makes sense.

Overall, I'd give this a 5/5--he was able to make me feel for everyone: even (if not especially) the characters that I didn't like. Looking for Alaska still remains my favorite John Green book (that is for a whole other entry), but this follows very closely behind it. :)

2 comments:

  1. Call me weird but I sympathize with the crazy writer the main characters met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not weird :) I feel the same way. I wouldn't put it past myself to end up like that.

      Delete

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!