Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Komikon Haul/Review part 1: Crime Fighting Call Center Agents, Volume 2

Wowwww, that is a loooong title. Anyway, the photo above (and the title of this entry as well, come to think of it) features the titles that I got at Komikon last Saturday, all of which I've finished and all of which I have a lot to say about. :D But because I don't have the time at the moment to write something in-depth about all of them so I thought I'd do an installment-type thing with these reviews. So yeah, here's the first installment! 

Crime Fighting Call Center Agents by Noel Pascual & AJ Bernardo

There is a reason why all day at Komikon, people wandered into the indie section and sought these guys out. 
They've managed to create a comic that people can relate to and that is, at first-glance already extremely engaging--the two-toned color palette and the detailed sketching immediately draws the eye in. (They use quality paper, too--I felt it up like heck)

First things first, while this is called Crime Fighting Call Center Agents, they don't actually fight crime--they fight evil mythical creatures; also the fact that they're call center agents has yet to be expounded on throughout the course of the narrative. But the thing is that none of these things seem to matter in the context of this well-written, well-drawn comic. It seems like in the context of CFCCA, the slightly dislocated nature of the implied profession of these "crime fighters" makes sense. Anyway, before I begin over-reading and then correcting myself, I have to say it takes a lot to make me like something like this--I often find myself not quite being so into things that set themselves up to be funny (just because a lot of those things fall short of the expectation they build for themselves) but I really, really like this. It took me around 15 minutes to get through this volume and those were 15 good minutes of rolling around and laughing. 

The only qualm I have about this probably isn't even a valid one as it's more a taste-based thing. It's just that I find that I am drawn more to melancholic work or funny things with melancholic undertones and this is a rollicking good time through and through. It doesn't resonate so much because I'm looking for that sadness but I think that's just me. :)) So yeah. That aside, I'd give this 5 stars definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!