This is one of those movies that I can watch a million times and not get sick of. It's also one of those movies that I don't have to watch to watch anymore. If I'm working on something, sometimes I just let it play in the background and even without looking at the screen, I'll know which scene is taking place, what they're wearing, etc. I figure that the reason why I like this movie so much is that it's about a couple of things I like a lot: books and other people who like books. Also, it shows a lot about the book industry and about how books are great but they're also a business and so much is involved in getting a book out there.
The pacing of this narrative was also amazing, what with the utilization of split-screens in a non-cheesy way and the introductions of their lives via the e-mails sent. It's amazing story-telling which is great because I find that a lot of books and movies that talk about people who are good at telling stories often fail at telling stories. Props to Nora Ephron (RIP) and her co-writers for that! Everything--from the lead characters to the minor roles, from the styles of their apartments to the events they go to--is spot-on.
Plus, they cast two of the 90s best: Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks. These two have so much chemistry. I think the allure of the Meg/Tom tandem is that yes, they are attractive but they're attractive in that relatable, this-could-be-someone-I-know way and that allows you to like them/put yourself in their shoes. This, as opposed to say, Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman who the majority of us just know aren't us or people we know. So yeah, this is 4.5/5 for me--the only bit I didn't like about this is that Meg's character, Kathleen, was reading a Jane Austen novel. Christ. Not all girls like Jane Austen. :)) But that's a whole other story and more a personal qualm than anything, so yeah.
Anyway, if you'll look in the Tags, this is also filed under Brightside Entries because I'm downloading it at the moment to watch later tonight before I sleep. :))

Love this movie! :)
ReplyDeletehttp://doitnaturalnow.blogspot.com.es/
I'm ashamed I've never seen it!
ReplyDelete:)) Please go see it soonest!!!! :D It's really a wonderful film.
Delete