So, I just checked the navbar and this is the 101st Brightside Entry which means that I've been trying (and succeeding) at looking for something that makes me happy, everyday for more than a hundred days and that is just crazy because I can be the most pessimistic person that I know. I'm extremely paranoid and that keeps me up at night and then I end up getting sick from lack of sleep so thinking of things that are going right instead of what could go wrong has really, really helped me out. And so yeah I thought I'd meta the shit out of this by writing a Brightside Entry about Brightside Entries. :))
Photo by Keavin Mutuc
I thought I'd do a pro-con bit just in case some of you are thinking of getting into this as well and posting Brightside Entries up on your blogs (link me below if you are, I'd love to read!).
Pros. It makes you feel good about things, especially if you're posting at the end of the day. Despite bad things that happen, it's nice to see that there's at least one thing that went right during the day. And since it's something you do everyday, it starts to come naturally to you so that even if you don't put up a Brightside Entry, you still wind up thinking about things that went well during the day. It's also great to read back on old entries and remember what made you happy at a certain period in time. :) (Although I realize this can also backfire if you post about say, your puppy who is now dead or something)
Cons. It takes real effort to do this--to sit yourself down at the end of everyday and write about what went well. It sounds simple but coupled with homework and other things, it gets difficult. But really the biggest challenge for me is a matter of honesty. One of the things I hate the most about Positive Psychology is its tendency to go and ignore all the bad things and just focus on good things. So yeah. I try really hard to keep these things honest and also talk about the bad things that happened during the day or even admit that sometimes, there really isn't anything that makes you happy in a day. These things have lead me to realize that sometimes the only way to be able to get past something, is get through it. :D
That said, more Brightside Entries to come! And a bajillion exciting things to come as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!