Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012

St. Elmo's Fire

I was a little hesitant to watch this movie because the IMDB description just said "This is a movie about a group of friends who have problems because they're all self-centered and obnoxious." I was scared I'd end up hating the characters and having a mini "why did I watch this?" bitch fit, but the description also intrigued me endlessly and I needed to know why it was that way so yeah--curiosity got the better of me again and I ended up downloading it and watching it and (as my sister warned me I would) ended up loving it. 
Now, I must warn people that the IMDB description isn't wrong--this really is about a bunch of self-centered twenty-somethings, but I like that it's relentless with the conflict and the personalities and the things that these SOBs want. I found myself absolutely engaged in the plot and invested in the characters. I especially loved Kevin (Andrew Mc Carthy)--his timing was spot-on and his little remarks just made the whole script even funnier. Plus I love that everyone thought he was gay. Also, I love the scene where Billy (Rob Lowe) drops his keys into his pants and dares Jules (Demi Moore) to "come get it" then tries to push her face toward his crotch--the tone teeters on the edge of funny and is always in danger of falling head-first (harhar) into disturbing. 

Every character trait and every problem that needed to be resolved here was so specific and so crazy that I just absolutely believed it. Anyway, I'd give this a 5/5 rating. I also really want to watch it again. Not just because Andrew Mc Carthy is gorgeous--although, that helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to share your thoughts, go ahead. :) Anonymous commenting enabled. Just click "comment as" below to leave your details (no Blogger account needed :D) & as soon as I read your comment, it'll be up and running. Thanks for dropping by!