I got up semi-early this morning (early enough so that the inner corner of my eyes were still caked with muta anyway) to check my Chem Yahoo!Group (because seriously, nowadays that is all that people seem to have a Yahoo!Group for--academics). After seeing that my prof hadn't replied to my message yet, I decided to do a little Y!G reminiscing while waiting and clicked on a couple of old Y!Gs from 2009/2010.
Upon finding a completely amicable (on the verge of dripping with endearment actually) message from me to my ex-teacher (who I would eventually come to loathe because of how extremely arrogant he would turn out to be), I really, truly wanted to vomit. But after reading his reply (which was equally disgusting to be read from someone you hate), I realized that reminiscing about something can only be done if you accept that that thing is done or dead. sealed in its own vacuum. I figured that hating yourself for not hating someone you'd eventually hate is just as useless as hating someone who's dead--it won't change anything anyway. Maybe the trick is learning to appreciate that phase as something that your younger self was immersed in and try (at least) not to hate yourself too much. I didn't stop my gravestone perusing there, though because it kind of fascinates me, that nostalgia-hatred combo. As a result, I went through Y!Gs from 2010, when I was still editor of the folio-that-shall-not-be-named and I was laughing for a good ten minutes. I came across drawings and old jokes--never mind if 6 months from when those messages were posted we'd be at each others' throats, arguing about a photo that half the room thought was "art" and the other half of the room thought wasn't "art. And despite how that turned out, I guess it's okay to find those things funny as well.
I've never been the type of person who felt particularly sentimental about All Soul's Day because all the people who I know who've died, I wasn't particularly close to. But I guess I get how my parents must feel about the friends and family they visit every November first. Hrrrrm. Good time to go checking Y!Gs. :))
I feel the same way when I read my journals. XD
ReplyDelete